5.14.2010

Starting to Sew; Starting to Grow

It's been fairly recent since I've seriously ventured into the world of sewing. I decided to start with a few home accessories first - pillows, various curtain styles. I've always wanted to know how to sew and have always had high hopes that I would really enjoy it. So far... WRONG! I am not enjoying it at all!!! But I'm going to keep pushing through the beginning stages hoping that as I become more comfortable doing it, it'll be begin to grow on me. I went to bed sooo frustrated and flustered last night, but when I woke up this morning God changed my heart and attitude about it by revealing Himself to me in sewing. I believe this is a great opportunity for growth. Here's what He's revealed to me so far:
  • I don't like it, because I lack patience. I like to see things grow - like to see immediate results. Sewing has very little construction time; most of it is spent measuring, cutting, squaring, pressing, pinning - none of which have very encouraging visual results of progress. This is an opportunity for me to stretch my patience and learn that things are coming together and pushing forward in progress even when I am unable to see it.
  • When I go to the fabric store, I deliberate forever!!! I want to know what type of material is best suited for the job, then I think about what it needs to look like to maintain unity with the rest of the house or whatever project, then I look for what is appealing to my eye, and (of course being the frugal person I am) I finally consider cost. God created us each with great care - He constructed us with a bigger picture in mind and with a purpose to serve and fit within that bigger picture. He made us to be beautiful and appealing to Him - a reflection of His own image. BUT God is not frugal. He did not consider cost. He paid His son out on the cross to bring us all together in beauty for His glory. Wow!
  • In sewing, one must pay attention to the little details - edges must be straight, corners must be squared, measurements must be accurate. God straightens and squares us as pieces of His masterpiece for our good, the good of the whole piece, and most importantly for His glory. Sometimes we must have our wrinkles ironed out. Sometimes we must be pressed with heat to straighten our edges. Sometimes we need our poorly done and crooked stitches ripped out so that they may be lovingly straightened by the eyes and hands of God. Sometimes we also need to be pressed with heat to heal the holes left behind from torn out stitches that we're trying to keep.
I'm sure there's so much more of Christ in sewing than I can even see. But for now, I am praying that my heart and attitude toward the task will change and that I will rejoice in every little step as laboring in love over these pieces helps me see God's labor of love in me. I'm hoping to grow in patience and humility - here's to growing while I sew!

Where do you see God? I'd love to hear about it!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

very insightful! i will definitely think about this next time i get frustrated sewing.

oh, and we want to see pictures! :-)